Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fire Cider - a winter must have!

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted. I've been getting a head start on my Christmas gifts this year to avoid that awful feeling of total brokeness right after a last minute shopping binge. And THIS is the perfect gift!! Seriously!! What better gift than the gift of health, right? But get started on it early because it does take one month to brew.

So, a little info on Fire Cider: 
I learned about it during my studies with Nicole Telkes, of the Wildflower School of Botanical Medicine. There is much folklore surrounding this ancient recipe, my favorite tale being that looter's of homes during the black plague relied heavily on it to keep them from catching the dreadful illness. Whether this is true or not, you'd have to seek out for yourself. I'm going to believe it though, because personal experience has taught me: fire cider WILL save your ass.

The garlic is anti-inflammatory as well as being a naturally occurring antibiotic.  The serrano and ginger work to increase circulation in the body causing a warming effect. And the apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect on the body. 
Feeling a little stagnant, or like you're about to come down with something? A couple tablespoons of this will have you warmed up and back on your feet in no time! Fire cider is also great for: congestion, sore throat, digestion, gas/bloating, and allergies. Try it as a preventative or a rescue remedy! (Please note that I am not a doctor, so please don't come sue me because you made this and it didn't cure your cancer or whatever)

The recipe itself is free to be altered, what I have listed here is just what I put into my own brew this time around for convenience purposes. Alternative recipes include turmeric, oranges, onions, lemons, raw honey, habaneros, the list goes on! 


Making Your Fire Cider:

You'll need:
-Apple Cider Vinegar (unfiltered and/or unpasteurized is best)
-Garlic
-Ginger
-Serrano
-Any other superfoods or roots you find beneficial
- A large, clean, wide mouthed jar with a lid
-Another clean jar with a lid to hold your finished product
 *Organic/farmer's market/home grown is obviously the best choice for your ingredients. Seeing as this is not always possible, you can at least put on some feel good music and saturate your work with good intention ;)
 *Put however much you want of each ingredient in there, and no need to be shy on the peppers because it never really comes out as spicy as you think it will.

1) Chop up your garlic, serrano, and ginger. The finer you cut it, the more medicinal properties will be extracted. 
Make sure to cut your own fingers fourteen times so 
you finish this project looking like Edward Bandaid-hands.  

2) Pack the ingredients down tightly into a wide mouthed jar and cover completely with apple cider vinegar. Make sure nothing is sticking out above the vinegar or it runs the risk of going bad.  

3) Seal your jar, mark the date on it, set it somewhere in your pantry/cabinet and forget about it for a month! (If you want to go the traditional route, you can bury it underground for one full moon cycle)

4) When a month has passed strain the solids out (compost these), and store the remaining liquid in a clean glass jar. Refrigeration is not necessary, but it shouldn't harm your medicine to keep it there if it puts you at ease to do so. 

Let me again note that I am not a doctor. This blog post, along with all others related to "Psychedelicious am I", are meant for entertainment and educational purposes only.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's cool that you have a blog on natural foods. I am considering starting an organization in San Marcos that promotes the use of natural foods to sustain and restore health. I started a hiking group (the San Marcos Area Trail Walkers) and I may start another group related to natural, whole foods. Our new walking group already has 72 members, so maybe this other group I'm considering could be as successful. San Marcos Area Trail Walkers is actually a meetup and the new group I'm considering would be one as well. Best wishes on your blog.
    Bob Holder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just noticed that Google has my email address wrong (I'm no longer taking classes at Austin Community College). I would like to subscribe to this blog at my yahoo address which is: mesa.verde@yahoo.com.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete